#70sHairstyles #FarrahFawcettHair #MermaidLengthHair #NaturalAfro #CurlyShag #HairScarves #CurtainBangs #BoldPlatinumBlonde #DiscoCurls #PixieCut #Beehive #PoodlePerms
Worn by iconic stars like Goldie Hawn, Cher, and Farrah Fawcett, ‘70s hairstyles are making a comeback. These hairstyles are all about large volume, long locks, vibrant colors, and layered styles. If you’re looking for some retro inspiration, here are 11 ‘70s hairstyles that are trending again:
1. Farrah Fawcett Hair: Feathered layers and rollers create Farrah Fawcett’s signature style. Achieving this natural volume and curliness is easier than you think.
2. Mermaid-Length Hair: Ultra-long straight hair was a volume-focused trend of the ‘70s. Cher’s sleek and shiny long lengths capture the hippyish vibe of the decade.
3. Natural Afro: Embrace your coily hair with a striking afro. Diana Ross effortlessly rocked it in the ‘70s, and it has been making a comeback in recent years.
4. The Curly Shag: The shag cut was one of the most popular hair looks of the ‘70s. Stevie Nicks’ curly take on it is the ultimate inspiration for this short, choppy layered style.
5. Hair Scarves and Bandanas: Embrace the boho feel of the ‘70s by wrapping soft, colorful scarves or bandanas around your mane. Get creative with bows and different fabric choices.
6. Curtain Bangs: Goldie Hawn made curtain bangs famous in the ‘70s. These face-framing bangs are feminine, cool, and quirky.
7. Bold Platinum Blonde: Dyed blonde hair has been popular for decades, but Debbie Harry’s platinum shade gives it a punk and pinup twist.
8. Disco Curls: Embrace your natural ringlets or corkscrew curls if you have type 3 hair. This hairstyle is perfect for a night of dancing, just like the Queen of Disco, Donna Summers.
9. The Pixie Cut: If you’re feeling bold, go for a ‘70s-style pixie cut. Liza Minnelli rocked this sassy, sophisticated, and sexy look that is sure to make you stand out.
10. The Beehive: The beehive was a glamorous ‘60s and ‘70s hairstyle. It has made a comeback as a sleek updo, with the option to use hairpieces and tools to achieve the desired look.
11. Poodle Perms: Anni-Frid from ABBA rocked this tightly curled perm back in the ‘70s. Perms are making a comeback, from traditional styles to looser waves.
You can elevate any ‘70s hairstyle with a touch of color. Consider adding depth with a burgundy hair shade for a trendy look in 2023.
Ready to unleash your inner ‘70s chic? Book an appointment at your nearest Rush salon!
Worn by Goldie Hawn, Cher, and (of course) Farrah Fawcett back in the day, ‘70s hair is about blockbuster volume, tonnes of length, bold colours and iconic layering. And it’s having a revival. That’s why we’ve rounded up 11 ‘70s hairstyles that are trending again, giving you all the inspo’ you need to go retro. […]
Worn by Goldie Hawn, Cher, and (of course) Farrah Fawcett back in the day, ‘70s hair is about blockbuster volume, tonnes of length, bold colours and iconic layering. And it’s having a revival.
That’s why we’ve rounded up 11 ‘70s hairstyles that are trending again, giving you all the inspo’ you need to go retro. When you’re ready to experience ‘70s chic, book an appointment at your nearest Rush salon.
1. Farrah Fawcett hair
Feathered layers and rollers and Farrah Fawcett hair was born. She made this breath-taking style her trademark back in the ‘70s, prompting countless fans to try it out too. Natural volume and curliness will make the Farrah Fawcett much easier to achieve.
2. Mermaid-length hair
The ‘70s wasn’t all about big blowdrys and waves though; ultra-long straight hair was another key, volume-focused trend. Cher’s sleek, shiny rapunzel-eqsue lengths make for a classic, hippyish look that captures one mood of the decade.
3.A natural afro
Pump up the volume on coily hair with a striking afro ‘do. Worn effortlessly by Diana Ross, whose spherical ‘70s cuts are truly awe-inspiring, the afro has been cropping up again more and more in recent years.
4. The curly shag
The shag cut was one of the ‘70s most popular and interchangeable hair looks. Known for its short, choppy layers and carefree, ‘undone’ vibe, this is the OG of trends like the wolfcut, and Stevie Nicks’ curly take on it is the one.
5. Hair scarves and bandanas
Soft, colourful scarves or bandanas can be wrapped around your mane however you like to get this ‘70s boho feel. Try a loose scarf with a long bow or a head-hugging bandana like Barbra Streisand; just choose a fabric you love and see where the mood takes you.
6. Curtain bangs
Curtain bangs started getting popular in the ‘60s, but it was Goldie Hawn’s decision to wear them in the ‘70s that made this a decade-defining look. Gently framing your face, curtains are feminine, cool and quirky.
7. Bold, platinum blonde
Dyed blonde hair has been a constant for decades, but Debbie Harry’s platinum shade gives us a special mesh of punk and pinup and we’re here for it. If you want a drastic change, this bold look fits right into 2023.
8. Disco curls
If you’ve got type 3 hair, step away from the straighteners and let ringlets or corkscrew curls run free; this is the ideal ‘do for a night out dancing. Think ‘The Queen of Disco’, Donna Summers.
9. The pixie cut
Feeling brave? Opt for the chop and get a ‘70s-style pixie cut. A forerunner to the boycut trend, this haircut was defined by ‘Cabaret’ star Liza Minnelli. Sassy, sophisticated and sexy, it’s a hairstyle that’ll make you stand out day or night.
10. The beehive
Creating a buzz in the ‘60s and flying into the ‘70s, the beehive is still an uber-glamorous style. Made iconic again in the ‘00s by the much-loved Amy Winehouse, the beehive generally isn’t worn quite as boldly as she did, but it makes for a sleek updo, and you can build up your own locks with hair pieces and tools to get the look exactly how you want it.
11. Poodle perms
ABBA are as ‘70s as it gets and Anni-Frid rocked one of the decade’s favourite styles back in the day; the tightly curled perm, as seen here in 1974. And now it’s back! From TikTok to in-salon, people are experimenting with perms again; the traditional kind, as well as looser solutions, to get the wave pattern they’re dreaming of.
You can enhance any ‘70s hairstyle even further with an effective use of colour. See which of our burgandy hair shades can add extra depth to your ‘do in 2023.